Have you started with a new WordPress blog and looking forward to optimize it for search engines, then the first thing that you should do is to submit your WordPress site to Google Search Console.
Google Webmasters Tool or Google Search Console is a free set of tools offered by Google to Webmasters that provides reports and data. It helps webmasters to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their websites, how often users click on your site from Google Search and on what search queries your site appears in results.
The data of Google Search Console helps you to optimize your site’s pages and posts, and also helps you to ready a content strategy for your website (i.e. what you should write next).
It also tells you about the errors in you’re site which you can fix to speed up the crawling and indexing of your pages.
You can also submit XML sitemaps of your website in Google Search Console but before you do any of that, you need to verify your website.
So, today i will show you how to add your website to Google Search Console and how to verify you’re site using the Yoast SEO plugin.
So let’s start now…
How To Submit WordPress Blog To Google & Verify Your Website In Google Search Console
The very first thingh you need to have the Yoast SEO WordPress plugin installed on your WordPress dashboard. If you have not installed the Yoast SEO plugin yet, follow the steps below.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard >> Plugins >> Add New
- Search for “Yoast SEO” in the search box and click on Install Now.
- After installation, activate the plugin.
- Go to the Google Search Console in Yoast SEO plugin options and sign into your Google account.
- Now enter your website URL and click on Add A Property.
- It will ask you to verify the ownership of your site so click on Alternate methods and select “HTML tag”.
- Now copy the code. Only copy the part in quotations after the ‘content’ tag.
- Now go to you’re WordPress dashboard and click on Yoast SEO on the left side of the menu.
- This will open the Yoast SEO dashboard. Now click on the Webmaster tools tab.
- Under “Google Search Console”, paste the code in the given area and click Save changes.
- Now go back to Google Search Console and click on Verify.
- Now it will show you a success message: “You have successfully verified the ownership of the website.”
So, finally you’re WordPress site is now verified with Google Search Console and now the next i will show you how to generate XML sitemaps and how to submit them to Google.
How To Generate XML Sitemap & Submit It To Google Search Console
Sitemap will help search engines to understand more about your site. This file contains the link of all your posts & pages of you’re site. Once you submit these XML Sitemaps, search engine will use the links mentioned in your Sitemap to effectively crawl your website. This means that your content will be added into search engine and your site will start receiving organic traffic.
The benefit that WordPress users gets with Sitemap is that once they have submitted the Sitemap file generated by a Yoast SEO plugin than next time they don’t need to do anything after publishing a new post or page. Your sitemap file all be automatically updated & new link will be automatically submitted to Google search engine.
This is the main thing do for every WordPress blogger. You just need to follow the steps i have mentioned below of how to generate & submit your Sitemap file to Google search console. I am using Sitemap feature of popular Yoast SEO plugin. There are many other plugins as well, but Yoast is one of the best WordPress SEO plugin.
Here is how you can get started:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard than Yoast SEO and then XML Sitemap.
- Copy the URL (only the part given after / ). Here is my Sitemap file link: https://gamezguru.co.in/sitemap_index.xml
- Now go to Google Search Console and select the website (the same website that you have verified earlier).
- Click on Dashboard >> Sitemaps.
- Click on Add/Test Sitemap.
- Paste the URL and click on Submit.
After doing this you will receive a confirmation message.
Remember one thing, when you submit a sitemap file for a new website, it may take some time to see the index status. Once it is done, you will be able to see how many URL’s are submitted with that sitemap and how many links are indexed by Google Search Engine.
I hope the above tutorial will really help you to add your site to Google’s Search Console. If you have any questions or need any help, do let me know in the comment section.
Like this tutorial? Do share it with your friends!